Heaven rest us - I'm not asbestos

Continuing my trip back through the 1957 album charts.

15/12/57 : A Swingin' Affair! - Frank Sinatra 

Two Elvis albums followed by a Sinatra offering - I suspect this may be the pattern for the year.  I'm expecting this to sound exactly like you'd expect it to...

Hmmm - it certainly tries to, but it struggles to reproduce the high quality bar of last year's offering.  The high points are pretty high ("Nice Work If You Can Get It", "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To", "Look At Me Now" and "The Lady Is A Tramp" being good examples) and the rest isn't in any way bad, but a lot of it sounds a bit similar and lazy - he knew he was on to a good thing and was going to ride it until it dropped.  It's a pretty lazy album cover as well...

We're at #5 in the charts this week on his 16th week of a 17 week run, with it having spent seven consecutive weeks at #1 earlier in the year.  The rest of the top five were TKAI (of course), Elvis (both Xmas and otherwise) and Oklahoma!.

Wikipedia has remarkably little on the album - it is, unsurprisingly, mentioned as a sequel to Songs For Swingin' Lovers.  It also tells me, somewhat more surprisingly, that "The Lady Is A Tramp" wasn't originally on the album - it was recorded at the time, but bumped for "No One Ever Tells You" and only added back for the CD release (which I'm guessing was a few years later).  The only other information Wikipedia has is a full (and I mean FULL) breakdown of the people on each track - 30+ on each of them!

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" - has Amazon just given up on 1957?!?  I didn't mind this, but it was a definite disappointment after Songs For Swingin' Lovers and that just got even worse when I learned it didn't originally feature "The Lady Is A Tramp".

10/11/57 - Decidedly odd
22/12/57 - Super-cheesy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves