Drink! Drink! Drink!

Continuing my trip back through the 1956 album charts.

05/08/56 : Romberg: The Student Prince - Mario Lanza 

I have absolutely no idea what this, so here goes...

Hmmm - I guess it's "opera light" (popera?).  Sometimes it sounds like more like a musical, sometimes it gets more classical but it's always a bit too overblown for me.  Mario's voice is fine and the sound quality is perfectly acceptable, but there's no danger of me ever revisiting this - it's not even that it sounds dated, it just sounds like it's from another time entirely.  It's also hard to imagine an album featuring a track called "Gaudeamus Igitur" these days (except for a metal album, I guess).  That's quite the album cover as well - although it does have the distinction of acknowledging a woman is involved and there haven't been many of them this year.

This week we're at #5 with the only week this ever charted and the rest of the top five were CarouselFrank Sinatra, Mel Tormé and Bill Haley.

Wikipedia doesn't have an entry for the album but there are entries for the operetta and the film - the operetta was written by Sigmund Romberg and Dorothy Donnell and opened in 1924, running for 608 performances which made it the longest running Broadway show of the 20s.  The film was made in 1954 and was due to star Mario Lanza (who was a massive celebrity at the time) but he walked off set and was fired before principal photography - but as part of the settlement they still had to use the songs he'd recorded, so Edmund Purdom had to mime to his tracks.

"Customers also listened to" Jeanette MacDonald, Joseph Locke, Howard Keel and Richard Tauber - I know there's some famous singers here and that's all I can tell you, but Wikipedia is your friend if you need more.  As it was for me, so now I know that Mario Lanza was a famous singer (and not a very nice person from the sounds of things) - and I also know from listening to this album that I have no interest in hearing any more of his stuff.

22/07/56 - A load of fun!
12/08/56 - Dated but perfectly fine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves