This isn't a fight! Oh, it fucking is now.

Continuing my trip down The Guardian's Top 50 TV Shows of 2022.  

#38 : Cheaters

Was this the easiest show to tear your way through in 2022? Served up in juicy 10-minute morsels, it followed the lives of Fola (Susan Wokoma) and Josh (Joshua McGuire), who meet on a work trip, have a one-night-stand … then fly home and realise they live directly across the road from each other, with their partners. It sizzled with tension and chemistry throughout. What fun.


I've heard this is good but I must admit I'm not convinced by the ten minute episode thing - is that going to be enough to get into something before it's time to wrap it all up?

Hmmm - I'm not sure.  It feels well written and well acted, but I just didn't get into it - I gave it four episodes (out of a possible 18, which feels like a weird number) and I didn't hate it but just found I didn't warm to any of the characters, so I didn't really care whether any of them cheated or not.  I also found it it a bit tonally uneven - it couldn't quite decide if it was drama, soap opera or pantomime.  The acting was fine, it all looked fine - but I just didn't care enough to follow it to the end.  And the ten minute thing did feel like a gimmick - maybe someone had decided that "the kids" don't have a long attention span these days, but the episodes ended as soon as they begun.

So, I gave up on it - sorry, cheaters!  I'm sure plenty of people would like it, although I'm not sure who - it feels maybe more of a female friendly program, but I could be way off there.  I am, however, looking forward to seeing Susan Wokoma on the next season of Taskmaster.  Hmmm, I wonder if The Guardian have ever included Taskmaster in their end of year list - it totally deserves it!

#37 - Well worth a watch
#40 - Unfortunately unavailable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves