Every last bit of me thirsts

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's top 50 films of 2022

#17 : You Won't Be Alone

Spellbinding horror movie from director Goran Stolevski, a witch story that follows a shapeshifter in a 19th-century village.

I've never heard of this one - but it's my first Macedonian language film, so I think I can be forgiven for that.  As with the last film, I'm not convinced I have the right temperament for a horror film - but things worked out very well last time, so fingers crossed.

We follow Nevena who has a very boring childhood - promised to a witch as a new-born (and made mute at the same time), her mother brings her up in a cave until the age of sixteen when the witch reappears, takes the form of her mother and turns her into a witch as well.  I mean, we've all been there, right?!?

Unfortunately, Old Maid Maria (the original witch) isn't too impressed with Nevena's witching skills - she prefers playing with the animals rather than breaking their necks and eating them raw (apparently that's what real witches do).  This results in Maria leaving Nevena to fend for herself with no knowledge of the real world - which goes just about as well as you'd imagine it would.  To start with anyway, but as time goes on she gets the hang of things and the film manages to conjure up a surprisingly emotional ending.

It's possibly a little too deliberate at times - some of the scenes certainly couldn't be accused of rushing things.  For "horror" (it's not really a horror film at all, but it has some horror elements), it's very poetic and beautiful - The Guardian calls it spellbinding, but I can quite imagine that a lot of people would describe it as dull - for me it fell somewhere in between.  It was very nice to look at and I was somewhat intrigued as to how it was going to end, but it really could have done with getting there a bit quicker.

It's a very atmospheric film with stylish visuals (and some very cool locations) and a sparse, yet effective soundtrack.  It portrays a sense of wonder well - lots of things are being seen through Nevena's eyes for the first time and you get the mix of confusion and awe well.  Overall, I'd say it's well written and shot (by Goran Stolevski) but maybe some harsher editing wouldn't have gone amiss - although it's not the sort of film that would benefit from being rushed.

However, because of that sense of wonder, the actors often don't have an awful lot to do other than gaze into the middle distance - Nevena is played by seven different actors across the film (if you include the baby!) and Sara Klimoska, Noomi Rapace, Carloto Cotta and Alice Englert all do a good job as adult Nevena so it feels harsh not to mention Petra Ćirić, Leontina Bainović and Anastasija Karanovich as the other incarnations, even if they have less to do.  The only other character we really spend any time with is Old Maid Maria who is played well by Anamaria Marinca, but she's rather disguised under tons of make-up (as a result of a rather unfortunate "burning at the stake" incident).

One last thing to talk about is the way that the witches shapeshift because it's really quite something - they take the guts of their intended target and shove them into a cavity which magically opens in their chest.  I can assure you that would never have occurred to me, but I guess that just proves I'm not a witch!

WIkipedia tells me that it actually counts as an Australian film and was put forward as their nomination for the Best International Feature Film Academy Award.  It also tells me it's shot in IMAX aspect ratio (1.44:1) - which feels like an odd choice but directors do odd things and we've had a lot less weird aspect ratios this year than we had last, so I'm considerably more tolerant of it!

All in all for me, I think it's an "admire" rather than a "like" (although I did like the ending), but is it a recommendation?  Probably not to be honest - it has a lot to recommend it but I'm just not sure who'd really "like" it.  But if you're in the mood for some fantasy/horror which gives you plenty of time to ponder the very nature of humanity whilst regaling your eyes with some beautiful visuals, then this is just the film for you and it's available to rent in all the usual locations.

#18 - A lovely film
#16 - Surprisingly watchable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves