Bubble girl you feel like a movie

Continuing my trip back through the 1999 album charts.

07/03/99 : Beaucoup Fish - Underworld

This was the album I bought at the same time as Orbital's offering (taking us to 20/43) - I've not heard it in ages, but I remember liking it so I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

Yeah, for the most part I liked this - there are lots of interesting sounds and rhythms on this, although they don't always work for me.  I think "Winjer" and "Cups" are my favourites - it does suffer a bit of a mid-album slump with "Skym" and "Bruce Lee" really not being great tracks, but things pick up again after that.  Like Orbital's offering, it won't be for everyone but I like it (although this is less dance-y than Orbital).

We're at #3 in the chart this week on their first week of a fifteen week run, which was a lot longer than I expected (and they managed another 7 weeks across three more runs) - this is actually their highest charting album.  The rest of the top five were The Corrs,, Lauryn HillRobbie Williams and Manic Street Preachers and the next highest new entry is Gene, all the way down at #25.

Wikipedia has more than I was expecting (102 milliPeppers) but the content is pretty light - it's their fifth album, anticipation was high after "Born Slippy .NUXX" featured in Trainspotting and the working title was Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be Underworld but then they decided that the rest of the world might possibly not get the joke.  The critics were pretty nice about it and it did well enough commercially as well across Europe - top 40 in most countries but it reached #2 in Belgium and it also got to #93 in the US, which seems like a fine effort for a pretty weird little album.

"Customers also listened to" Orbital, The Chemical Brothers, 808 State and The Sabres Of Paradise - most of whom seem spot on but the last of whom I've never heard of.  As I said before, this won't be for everyone but I like it and it took me back nicely - 1999 has been quite good for throwing up such surprises.

28/02/99 - A really poor album
14/03/99 - A terrible album without any terrible tracks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves