What don't you wanna not don't wanna do?

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

18/08/23 : The Death Of Randy Fitzsimmons - The Hives 

I admire The Hives because they seem like they're having a great time doing what they do - but that doesn't mean I particularly like what they do.  And I have absolutely no reason to expect this album to change my opinion of them.

And it doesn't - there's nothing to hate here (for me, at least - I can't see the lovely Mrs Reed having much truck with it though) but there's not a load to love either.  It certainly can't be accused of taking itself too seriously though and I imagine they would be pretty fun live, but the album just kinda bounced past me in a Kasabain/Rolling Stones kinda way.  And that's all I have to say on the matter really.  I am intrigued by the album title though and the internet has been absolutely no use in explaining it to me, although it may be to do with the departure of their bassist, Dr Matt Destruction - he's been replaced by the The Johan And Only!

We're at #2 in the charts with a new entry this week (which is their highest chart placing this week).  The rest of the top five are Liam Gallagher (another new entry which I though I'd have to listen to, but it's a live album so I can safely ignore his Oasis karaoke), Jungle (another new entry), Travis Scott (this is hanging around much longer than I expected) and Taylor (but not the one you'd expect) and we have two more "new" entries in the top ten - Fredo (#9 - I guessed he was a rapper from his name and am happy to avoid) and, somewhat bizarrely, David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars OST (#10 - and I've got no idea what brought that on and why it counts as a new entry).  

Last week I said that Cian would drop to #25, which I suspected was a bit high but I'd badly underestimated most of the albums so far so I adjusted things appropriately - so obviously he's dropped to #53.  The Hives feel like they're going to drop a similar amount, so let's go for #53 for them as well (and obviously they'll be #25).  And this week's Taylor stats are three in the top ten, five in the top twenty and "only" eight in the entire chart.  Poor lass.

Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album - it was recorded at Benny Anderson's studio and that's about it.  The critics are mostly nice enough about it - a lot of them say it's not a progression but they're quite happy with that.  And it's done OK commercially in Europe, getting to #1 in (go on, guess) Sweden.

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" - which is a bit of a surprise in this day and age.  I'm afraid this hasn't made me a fan though - I still admire what and how they're doing rather actively enjoying it.  But I guess they can live without my fandom.

11/08/23 - Better than expected
25/08/23 - Perplexing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves