We could ride the camel, one hump or two

Continuing my trip back through the 1999 album charts.

20/06/99 : Guerilla - Super Furry Animals

Well this is an odd one and no mistake - it's an album I own (11/28) but I'm not entirely sure I ever listened to it all the way through.  Super Furry Animals were one of those bands I thought I should like, but when I put it on I suspect (but can't remember) I was very "meh" about the whole thing and never went back to it - I certainly couldn't tell you anything about it now, so it will be interesting to see what I think of it.

So I've listened to it again - and I'm still unable to tell you anything about it.  It's not that it's unpleasant, it's just that I don't care about any of it - maybe if I listened to it repeatedly I'd get into it, but why I would invest the time on that?  Sorry lads, but you remain a mystery to me.

We're at #10 with a new entry this week on their start of a thirteen week run and this was far and away the highest it got to.  The top five this week were Jamiroquai (a very generous new entry), Boyzone, ABBAShania and, quite obviously, Dean Martin (his highest placing in a 31 week run) and our next highest new entry is Def Leppard (#11).

Wikipedia has way more than I expected on the album (207 milliPeppers) but it feels like a fan has set aside his afternoon to tell us everything regarding this album that no-one else really needs to know about.  The band were aiming to make a successful album and recorded 25 tracks and selected the ones they thought would do best - apparently they were a bit disappointed at the lack of commercial success and went on "pop strike" for their next album and recorded a lo-fi, Welsh language album (and I suspect I won't get to experience that).  The critics were unsurprisingly very nice about this album though - it feels very critic friendly but, also unsurprisingly, it didn't do anything commercially anywhere else.

"Customers also listened to" Supergrass (yeah, I can totally see that), Hurricane #1, Graham Coxon and Echobelly - that list gets increasingly further away from them as it progresses.  I'd really like to have liked this album, but I just didn't get it...

13/06/99 - An act of pure desperation
27/06/99 - Does what it says on the tin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves