The wider your eyes, the bigger the lies - yes, it's true

Continuing my trip back through the 1999 album charts.

26/09/99 : Supergrass Supergrass

I always think I quite like Supergrass, but the only album of theirs I've bought was their best-of, which I only really liked about half of and so only listened to it once or twice - which leaves me questioning whether I really like them at all.  Let's see, shall we?  And, as you can probably guess, we didn't own it (6/14).

Having said I wasn't sure whether I like them, they open up with "Moving" which I really like - but after that, I think I'll just say the tracks aren't so immediately catchy.  That's not to say I don't think I could like them but they just didn't quite click with me - it feels like I'd need to listen to this several times to "get" it..  Until we get to "Pumping On Your Stereo" obviously - you can't go wrong with that.

We're at #3 with a new entry this week on the start of a 26 week run - this was as high as it got.  The rest of the top five was Leftfield (a new entry), Shania, (it'll be May before we don't mention her in one of these round-ups), Travis and Gomez (a very late 90s band who we'll be seeing soon) and there is one more new entry in the top ten - the very greatest hits of one Daniel O'Donnell (#10 - such a shame we missed this).

Wikipedia has one paragraph in the entry which tells us that the album "is often referred to as "the X-ray album", due to the picture on the sleeve" - no shit, Sherlock.  To make up for Wikipedia's rubbishness, I'm going to include a link to the excellent video for "Pumping On Your Stereo".  The album did OK in Europe, which feels a bit unlikely to me but who am I to argue with history?

"Customers also listened to" Mansun, Echobelly, The Bluetones and Super Furry Animals, all very fine 90s names, most of whom I don't like quite as much as I feel I should - except for Mansun, who I feel like more than I think I should.  And currently, Supergrass fall into the former category for me, but I do think I should make an effort to appreciate them more because I suspect I could be missing out here - and I'm sure some people will tell me I am.  But, unfortunately, that doesn't mean I will - sorry!

19/09/99 - An odd one
03/10/99 - Doesn't quite click for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves