Love is kind, love is wine

Continuing my trip back through the 1968 album charts.

21/01/68 : Seekers Seen In Green - The Seekers

And another third visit - and I can't say I'm exactly looking forward to this one with any great levels of expectations either.  I've just had enough of this year, haven't I?  But last time I thought that Traffic came along with a nice surprise, so here's hoping! 

Funnily enough, The Seekers don't come up with anything surprising.  It's all fine one track at a time, but a whole album is just too twee.  Their version of "59th Street Bridge Song" is bearable I guess, but apart from that, there's not a lot here that jumped out at me.  I find it quite incongruous that the tracks switch between male and female lead vocalists - and yes, I know I should be able to cope with such things!  I also think that album cover is aiming to suck in the psychedelic crowd - I can only imagine how disappointed they must have been when they listened to it!

We're at #25 on the charts this week, on their last week of a ten week run, having peaked at #15 in their third week.  The top five were TSOM (this was its 69th and penultimate week at #1 - with its last one being in November this year)Sgt Pepper, Val Doonican, The Four Tops best-of and British Motown Chartbusters, the highest new entry was The Moody Blues (#39) and there were no new women to talk about.

Wikipedia has very little on the album and even less of interest - the only things there worth mentioning are that this was their last studio album with the original line-up and a comment from a critic which pretty much says "yeah, it's nice".  It was the 19th best selling album in Australia in this year though - which seems a little bit more than it deserved.

"Customers also listened to" Judith Durham, The New Seekers, Mary Hopkins and The Christy Minstrels - I guess this is a sound you either like or can't be doing with, and I have to say that a full album is just too much for me.

14/01/68 - Undoubtedly skilful
28/01/68 - More cheese, sir?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves