L.A. is a great big freeway

Continuing my trip back through the 1968 album charts.

30/06/68 : Dionne Warwick In Valley Of The Dolls - Dionne Warwick

Ooooh - the very week of my birth!  I already know The Small Faces were #1 which I consider to be a cool enough choice considering some of the possible alternatives, but I'm not entirely sure what Dionne's going to give me here.  It's definitely not going to be like our previous visit with her in 1983 - I'm expecting some pleasant enough warbling, but maybe a bit light.

I think my expectations were pretty much met - "Do You Know The Way To San José" is the obvious highlight, the rest of it is a bit female Andy Williams-ish - this is borne out by her also doing "Up Up And Away" (yet another song we've seen more than once this year).  Her voice is obviously stronger than Andy's but the production is quite odd in that it feels as though they don't want to show it off too much - it all feels a bit intentionally flat to me.

We're at #10 in the charts this week on her tenth run of a thirteen week run, with it never getting any higher than this (although it spent three weeks there).  The top five this week are The Small FacesOtisBobAndy and TSOM, the highest new entry was TCWOAB (#28) and we have a new woman named on an album - Esther Ofarim (who I've never heard of but we'll be meeting her at some point soon enough) which takes the running totals for the year to 8 named and 7 featured.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album, but there are some nuggets in there - the title track was indeed the theme from Valley Of The Dolls (and it got to #2), but it doesn't appear on the soundtrack album because they'd only sorted out a licence for it to appear in the film.  All of which sounds a bit nuts!  I also learned that Dionne didn't initially like "Do You Know The Way To San José" and "You're My World" was a #1 hit for Cilla Black (we're gonna bump into her at some point in the 60s and I'm quite looking forward to it).  It also, quite bizarrely, in the "Personnel" section lists Dionne eighth out of nine people involved in the album - someone really isn't keen on bigging up her role on the album.

"Customers also listened to" The 5th Dimension (no idea!), Burt Bacharach, Petula Clark and Jack Jones - wow, most of these guys are still alive!  Burt died earlier this year (aged 95) and one of The  5th Dimension died in 2001, but all the rest are still with us - Petula is 90 (and has been married to her husband for 62 years) and everyone else is in their 80s!  Dionne is a sprightly 82 and looking pretty good on it but I'm afraid this ain't the best album ever - it feels like it has way more potential than it delivers, which is a rarity so I feel annoyed for her.  But she has the privilege of having my birth week album, so that's gotta count for something right?

23/06/68 - Certainly, errr, something
07/07/68 - An intriguing album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves