If there's tenderness beneath her - it's too far out of reach, Sir

Continuing my trip back through the 1968 album charts.

28/04/68 : The Last Waltz - Engelbert Humperdinck

Oh good.  More Engelbert.  What can possibly go wrong with that, eh?!?

Do I even need to tell you what I thought of this?  To be fair, it's a fine example of "that sort of thing" and his voice is pretty good.  I also have to admit to quite liking "Miss Elaine E.S Jones" (say it out loud) where he sounds very Tom Jones-ish and "Nature Boy" where he's definitely more Sinatra-esque - it's also to his credit that, unlike Andy Williams, he doesn't murder any of the tracks but, like Andy, it just doesn't feel like it belongs in the 1968 charts

We're at #26 in the charts on his 27th week of a 33 week run, having peaked at #3 - people really loved a bit of Engelbert back then, didn't they?!?  The top five this week were Bob, best-ofs from Otis, The Supremes and The Four Tops and TSOM, the highest new entry was The Byrds (#31) and there are no new entries or women in the entire chart.

Wikipedia has nothing on the album - Engelbert (or Arnold, as he was born) has released 103 albums over the years and only two have entries.  This was his second album but his last came out in '21 and he's still out there touring at the grand old age of 87 if you feel the need to catch up with him.  I can personally live without, but fair play to the lad for keeping at it!

"Customers also listened to" Tom Jones, James Last, Matt Munro and Paul Anka - all definitely cut from the same cloth.  It's not my favourite genre, but it's not doing anyone any harm and I have to admit that when it works well, it brings a smile to my face.  And that happened a couple of times on this album, but a whole album's worth is just a bit too much for me.

21/04/68 - Two YEARS on the chart?!?
05/05/68 - A slightly different sound

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves