Well I know I've acted foolish

Continuing my trip back through the 2006 album charts.

30/04/06 : Shayne Ward - Shayne Ward

Oooh - a talent show winner album that (amazingly, I know) I've never heard.  Somewhat controversially, I'm expecting it to be "not THAT bad" (but not great either)...

Hmmm - I'd say it's not as bad as it could be, but I struggle to think of a reason why anyone would listen to it twice.  It's like Westlife, but not as exciting - and I can assure you that absolutely none of it stood out for me.  But, to be fair, none of it is hateful either - it's just "there".  So go get it, if that's what you want.

We're at #2 this week on its second week of a TWENTY ONE week run, having debuted at #1 - and then, bizarrely, it came back for another eight week run a year later.  What was going on?!?  The rest of the top five this week were Gnarls Barkley (a new entry), Bruce Springsteen (another new entry with The Seeger Sessions - I don't like this era Bruce), The Kooks and a Massive Attack best-of.  And, for a change, there are three more new entries in the top ten - Rihanna (#6 with A Girl Like Me, which is probably better regarded these days than a lot of the albums I've written about), Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris (#8 - I bet this is dreadful) and Jamie Foxx (#10 - I'm intrigued as to what this is like).

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album - he won the second series of X Factor and, well, here we are.  It was surprisingly successful though with 1.2 million copies sold globally and it contains the following, quite frankly, astonishing statement - "In November 2022, the album was released on vinyl record for the first time".  Who exactly was clamouring for that?  And now?!?

"Customers also listened to" Gareth Gates, Matt Cardle, Ben Haenow, Darius and Sam Bailey - a rogue's gallery of talent show "talent" if ever I saw one.  Shayne seems firmly towards the middle of the pack - it's not terrible, but it is very bland.

23/04/06 - One I was hoping to like more than I did
07/05/06 - Better than I remembered

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves