Nobody likes being played

Continuing my trip back through the 2006 album charts.

10/09/06 : B'day - Beyoncé

This is my 4.5th visit with Queen B, with the .5 being a Destiny's Child album - and I'm expecting this to be more DC than her later somewhat more experimental efforts.  I can't quite decide whether I'm expecting to like it or not - it's not really my sort of thing, but I rarely hate it either.

Yeah, it's definitely more DC than Lemonade or Renaissance - the songs general warble by acceptably (although there are some more "unusual" sections) but I can't say any of them particularly stand out for me.  There were bits I recognised ("To the left, to the left") but I couldn't have told you what song it came from ("Irreplaceable").  The album also features way more Jay Z than I feel the need for - and boy is that strong woman amazingly doormattish at times concerning him.  Just show him the door, sista!  There's no doubt she can sing, but this wasn't the album to turn me into a superfan - I'm also very unconvinced by her beehive on the album cover.

We're at #3 with a new entry this week on the start of a 26 week run, mostly spent in the 20s and 30s - she was certainly putting in the hard yards in preparation for her days of megastardom.  The rest of the top five are Snow Patrol, Kasabian, The Feeling (it would have been nice to catch up with that album again, even if it's completely inessential) and Bob Dylan and we have two more new entries in the top ten - the best of Freddie Mercury solo (#6 - which feels like it wouldn't need to be a particularly long album) and Missy Elliott (#7).

Wikipedia has a mahoosive entry - 667 milliPeppers, which is the longest we've seen in quite some time.  And no, I didn't bother reading most of it.  The critics were a bit "well, it's fine I guess" without obviously having anything particular to say about it.  Funnily enough, the public didn't care and lapped it up - #1 in the US, selling over 5 million copies over there.

But wait - there's a controversies section!  And it's surprisingly full of controversies about absolutely nothing - there was a petition against the video for "Déjà Vu" because it was terrible (it's not great, but not especially terrible imho), complaints that "Ring The Alarm" was dissing Rihanna (for sleeping with her husband, so that seems reasonable enough to me), complaints about her taping an alligator's mouth shut (I'm not making this up!) and her holding a cigarette holder and a contract dispute about a Des'ree cover on one of the album versions (and that sounds this least plausible of the lot).

"Customers also listened to" Destiny's Child (who knew?), Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera and Jennifer Lopez - I strongly suggest not messing with any of these ladies.  But there's a good reason why Beyoncé is known as Queen B - although I can't say this album particularly shows off her talents.

03/09/06 - Revisiting an old friend
17/09/06 - A pleasantly nostalgic album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves