I woke up to a light bulb

Continuing my trip back through the 2006 album charts.

20/08/06 : Bright Idea - Orson

I remember Orson being cheeky chappies who maybe took themselves slightly too seriously - I don't think I hated them, but didn't have a lot of time for them either.

Yeah, they're like slightly rockier US versions of Busted or McFly - there were also parts that reminded me of Men At Work.  They're not aimed at me but I can't say I minded them at all - I'd actually go as far as to say I remember quite liking the title track and "So Ahead Of Me", but I have to admit I don't remember the slightest thing about them already.  I can see it would be a great album to put on in the summer in the car with the roof down (if our super cool Zafira rocked such a look)

We're at #4 in the charts on their twelfth week of a 23 week run.  It debuted at #1, but dropped down pretty quickly, getting as low as #39 in its seventh week before it turned things around and climbed back up to spend three weeks at #4.  The rest of the top five are Christina Aguilera (a new entry), James MorrisonSnow Patrol and The Kooks (which I'm looking forward to revisiting - and there are bits of this album that are not unKookish).  There are no more new entries in the top ten - the next highest one is obviously The Mamas And The Papas best-of at #21.

Wikipedia tells me that the band paid for the album to be recorded (a whole $5,000!) and self-released it - it didn't really do an awful lot anywhere, except for here where we went mad for it (and they relocated over here to take advantage of the interest).

"Customers also listened to" The Feeling, Hard-Fi, Scouting For Girls and The Automatic - all very much in the same area.  I don't have anything against this album, it bouncily pop-rocks along quite nicely (and the similarity with The Kooks suggest I could get into it with more listens) - but then again I don't really see why we went so wild for it.  But I don't begrudge them their success - well done, lads!

13/08/06 - A pleasant stroll down memory lane
27/08/06 - Not as enjoyable as I hoped for

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves