I bet this song sounds real familiar

   

Continuing my trip down The Guardian's top 50 albums of 2022

#34 : Topical Dancer - Charlotte Adigéry and Bolis Pupul

In a world of rigid thinking and hard borders between countries and sounds, the Belgium-based duo make their lunge towards freedom. “Thank yourself / Praise your body / Celebrate and dance,” they urge. Liberation can be found in the body, they suggest – in reclaimed sexuality, a clear mind and a deep belly laugh – and they supply the tools to help get us there: the funk, the slink and a reminder of the pleasures of not taking life too seriously.


I must admit to never having heard of either Charlotte or Bolis - and who knows what to expect from the description above?


Well - I really quite liked this.  It's got interesting and quirky vocals over strong beats - I was reminded of Sault and Hot Chip in places, but it draws in lots of references.  I really liked "Reappropriate" - it's the sort of thing I think Bjork should be doing.  I also liked "Making Sense Stop" which had some nice Talking Heads throwbacks on it and "HAHA" is well done with its "lyrics" consisting of sampled laughter.  The whole thing is playful but still takes itself seriously - yeah, this is one of the best so far on the list.


There was no danger of this charting, I'm afraid and there's no Wikipedia entry on it or them - all I can really tell you from a quick trawl of the internet is that they're playing Brixton on Saturday and I reckon that would a fun night out.  "Customers also listened to" Ibibo Sound Machine, PVA, Melt Yourself Down and Sault - well, I've heard of one of them so I'll take that as a win.  Charlotte and Bolis (and yes, I'd already forgotten how to spell it) have produced a good album here though - well worth checking out.

#33 : Ghosted - Oren Ambarchi / Johan Berthling / Andreas Werliin


In another typically prolific year for Oren Ambarchi, the Australian guitarist picked up the baton with some of his most enduring collaborators, the Swedes double bassist Johan Berthling and drummer Andreas Werliin. Ghosted is a hypnotic exploration of groove that seems to strip back over the course of its four already impressively lean songs: I is busy and curious; II shudders and flickers over a single repeated fretboard harmonic refrain. The eerie, pattering III starts leading the trio into the shadows before IV slips into the realm of hushed doom jazz plied by Bohren und der Club of Gore. As good an entry point as any into a rich catalogue (try Ambarchi’s glorious 2022 solo album Shebang, for one)


Never heard of any of them, but I must admit my knowledge of the Swedish double bass scene is somewhat lacking.  I have to admit I'm looking forward to experiencing some "hushed doom jazz" though...


Well, well, well - this is very much not my sort of thing but I really quite enjoyed it.  The Guardian gets it about right with "a hypnotic exploration of groove" - there is a lot of repetition here, but the slight variations keep it from getting boring.  I even liked the "hushed doom jazz" of "IV" but I don't have the faintest idea how you're supposed to describe the overall sound - "ambient jazz" maybe?  It certainly helped that I listened to it with headphones on when it was dark outside - but it all slid past me in a very pleasing manner and it's a cool album cover as well.  All of which put me in the mood for some more of the same, so I also listened to Shebang - that's a bit more lively, but similarly intriguing.


It doesn't surprise me that this never charted and doesn't have a Wikipedia entry, but the man himself does have one.  So I'm able to tell you he's about my age and has been around since the late 80s and he does indeed have a rich catalogue - he recorded nine albums in 2012 alone.


"Customers also listened to" Sofie Birch, Bitchin Bajas and The Soft Pink Truth - I've obviously never heard of any of them.  But at least I've heard of Oren and his Swedish double bass playing mates now and I found it very enjoyable - I'm sure I'll forget it even exists by tomorrow, but I'm afraid that just shows I'm a bad person.


Two previously completely unknown albums that I really enjoyed - cheers, unknown people who names I've already forgotten how to spell!


#36-35 - Two ladies not to be messed with
#32-31 - Not really for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves