Say hello to Emma Raducanu!

Continuing my trip down The Guardian's Top 50 TV Shows of 2021.  

#47 : US Open Women's Final 

With less than 24 hours to go, Channel 4 struck a deal to show tennis sensation Emma Raducanu (who had just done her A-levels in Bromley) appearing in the US Open final. And a staggering 9 million of us tuned in to watch and weep as she and the brilliant Leylah Fernandez – herself only 19 – battled it out. A gripping night of television, and a glorious slice of the future.


I'm not going to write this up to any level of detail - and not because I don't want give you any spoilers, but no-one's going to sit down and re-watch it on my recommendation, are they?  I did watch it live though and it was a thoroughly enjoyable and exciting match - and most unexpected from where we were at the beginning of the tournament!

So well done Emma and well done Channel 4 and Amazon for agreeing a deal whereby more than two people could watch it - there were quite a few people on my Facebook timeline who stayed up to watch it and I suspect they all enjoyed it as much as I did.

#46 - A missed opportunity
#48 - An enjoyable "not my sort of thing"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves