Things get better babe, that's one thing I know

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

19/08/73 : Foreigner - Cat Stevens


We've met Cat once before with the slightly better known Tea For The Tillerman, which I found somewhat disappointing - particularly considering its reputation.  So quite where that leaves my expectations with for album (that I've never even heard of) is unclear.

The first side is "Foreigner Suite" - all 18:19 of it.  Lordy - it's quite a thing.  It's very earnest and sprawling and exactly the sort I'd usually hate, but, for some totally unclear reason, I didn't mind it at all.  I think it's because there's quite a bit of variation throughout - some bits of it are really quite Genesis-y, but there's really all sorts in there.  It's a very clean sound - there's some fine production on there.  The second side is somewhat more conventional and features some decent enough tracks which have a stronger jazz/funk influence than I was expecting, but are also surprisingly orchestral in places.  All in all, it's quite an interesting listen and not at all what I was expecting from the lad - you can tell from his voice that it's definitely him, but the sound is pretty varied.  It's very much of its time but has dated well - there's a chance I'd listen to it again, and there's no higher compliment I can pay the album than that!

We're at #10 in the charts this week on his sixth week of a ten week run - not a bad effort, but not as good as he'd come to expect.  The top five this week were Peters & Lee (#1?  REALLY?), Rod Stewart (a new entry), BowieThe Carpenters and yet more Bowie.  There's one more new entry in the top ten which is The Osmonds (#7) and that's it for new entries in the entire chart this week.  Dianne Lee is obviously the top woman in the charts this week and congratulations to her for being the first woman we've seen in the top spot this year, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's a TERRIBLE album.

Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album, which contains very little of note.  Apparently, this is different from his previous albums (which maybe explains why I quite liked it) because he was in a creative rut and decided to self-produce an album based around "black music" (whatever that is).  It got to #3 both here and the US, but didn't have the same commercial longevity as his previous albums - Teaser And The Firecat, which I'd never even heard of, spent 93 weeks in the charts over here!

"Customers also listened to" Yusuf Islam (whoever he is!), Donovan, Graham Nash and The Speedos.  One of those things does not sound like the others!  I liked this - although I've got no real idea why.  Maybe it was just a bit different?

12/08/73 - A sunny afternoon kind of an album
26/08/73 - Seriously - why?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves