Let's spread our wings and fly away

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

04/02/96 : Deliverance - Baby D


I remembered the name Baby D, but couldn't have told you what they did without checking - ah yes, "Let Me Be Your Fantasy" which got to #1 in 1994.  There were a couple of other singles which I vaguely remembered enjoying, so I was quite looking forward to this.

But, for the most part, I'm afraid I'll have to stay looking forward to it.  Both Amazon and Spotify only have five of the twelve tracks and, unusually, even YouTube isn't offering me up a low quality version to endure.  So I listened to the five tracks (three of which were the singles) and enjoyed them, although the version of "Let Me Be Your Fantasy" was unnecessarily extended.  If you like that track, then there's no reason why you won't like the rest of it - but quite why the whole album isn't available is unclear (I'm assuming it's something to do with samples and rights issues).  It's also not available in our house - 12/48 (25% - and it's not looking likely that we've going to stay above that level!)

We're at #5 with a new entry this week at the start of a four week run - I don't think we've had too many with that short a run this year, whereas it happens all the times these days.  The rest of the top five were OasisAlanisPulp and Radiohead - a pretty fine selection of albums (although Oasis, hasn't aged as well as the others).  There are no other new entries in the top ten - the next highest is the best of The Beat (#13), who'd split up in 1983.

Wikipedia only talks about the critical reception for the album, which was good - and that's really all it says.  So I had a look at their entry as well and I learned that Baby D (the person, not the whole  group) was (and still is) married to Phil Fearon who you may remember from Galaxy in the early 80s.  But I think it's fair to say that Wikipedia is not exactly a goldmine of information on anything to do with the album or the group.

"Customers also listened to" Rozalla, 187 Lockdown and Pianoman - who I may recognise if I heard any of their stuff, but the names aren't ringing any bells with me at the minute.  Which is exactly what happened for Baby D, but I was pleased to be reminded about them - and a bit disappointed the whole album wasn't available.

28/01/96 - Some enjoyably odd noises
11/02/96 - Not great, but not terrible

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves