I love you 3000

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's Top 50 Films of 2019

#49 : Avengers: Endgame


Is it cinema? Or is it soulless bobbins that’s degrading the fabric of art and society as we know it? Debate still rages; both sides can point to the Russo brothers’ quasi-finale as evidence for their cause.

Of course it's cinema.  There is, of course, an argument that it's also soulless bobbins and it's interesting that I used exactly the same word to describe the last film which was directed by - Martin Scorsese, who famously declared the Marvel films to be "not cinema".  Hold on - what even does "not cinema" mean?!?

Anyways, I digress.  I have to admit to not watching this film for this review because I've seen it twice already and I will be watching it again pretty soon as part of the family Marvel film watch, in which three of the family are watching all the Marvel films in order (can you guess which one of the family is giving it a miss?).  

I like most of the Marvel films but I think this is a worthy conclusion to their finest run of films - Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Infinity War and Endgame (and yes, I totally know I'm ignoring Ant Man And The Wasp and Captain Marvel).  Personally, I prefer Black Panther and Infinity War from that run (and some of the other earlier ones), but this is still a fine film - but, if you don't like (or don't know if you like) super-hero films, then you're not going to like this and it's certainly not the place to start if you feel you might need convincing.

I'm not even going to bother explaining the plot - there's definitely an argument that it makes absolutely no sense, but I didn't care in the slightest.  And I'm not going to call out any actors - it's very much an ensemble piece and they all get their moment in the spotlight.  And, unsurprisingly, I think the special effects are ace - but if you don't like 'em, then you won't like 'em.

Yes, it's a bit of a cop-out "review" but if you're interested in seeing this, then you'll already have seen it and if you're not interested in seeing it, then I'm not going to convince you to do so (especially since I'm actively telling you not to start here).  Personally, I think it's a great film and a very satisfying conclusion to Phase 3 which packs a surprisingly emotional punch - I was fully invested by this point and it hit the spot nicely.  And, unfortunately, they haven't hit such heights since (although Shang Chi was perfectly watchable) - but I have high hopes for Wakanda Forever.

At the time of writing, it's still available pretty much everywhere if you feel the need to catch up with it.

#50 - What a peculiar idea
#48 - Good looking, but grisly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves