Shut down the devil sound

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

21/04/96 : Evil Empire - Rage Against The Machine


Based upon my previous visits with RATM, I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark here and suggest that this might not quite be my cup of tea.

And, to my huge lack of surprise, it isn't.  I actually liked the title of "Vietnow" so was somewhat more kindly disposed to it than I might normally have been.  And I loved the beeping at the beginning of "Revolver" - but I soon got tired of the rest of it.  To be honest, I didn't HATE any particular track, but a whole album of it just proved to be too much for me - it's an album for people who find the Red Hot Chili Peppers to be just a bit too happy and harmonious.  And I'm many things, but I'm not that kinda guy and of course I never owned it - 11/37.

We're at #4 with a new entry this week on their way to an eight week run - feels generous to me if I'm being honest.  The rest of the top five were Take ThatAlanisOasis and Ocean Colour Scene - there were no other new entries in the top ten, with the next highest one being Raindance (#15) which sounds like more shop music to me.  The Cocteau Twins (#17) seem like a much better option to me if you're desperate to listen to something new from this week - although I have issues with their albums as well.  What am I like?!?  Never happy!

Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album although it does go into an incredible level of detail on the cover art, for no obvious reason.  Critical reception at the time was unclear but Rolling Stone noted "this music isn't supposed to be fun", which I can wholeheartedly agree with.  It did well commercially though - #1 in the US, where it sold 3 million copies.  There's no accounting for taste, I guess.

"Customers also listened to" Limp Bizkit, Beastie Boys, Faith No More and Tool - just no, thank you very much.  I know RATM have many fans and I'm very happy for them all, but I can't say I'm overly disappointed they pulled out of the Reading Festival this year.

14/04/96 - An album that's stood the test of time well
28/04/96 - Yes, I enjoyed it more than I'll admit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves