As I walk this land with broken dreams

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

22/12/96 : Take Two - Robson & Jerome


Ah - Mr Robson and Mr Jerome.  Can you explain to me exactly how you became so popular around this time?  No?!?  I thought not - but maybe this album will explain things.

Of course it doesn't.  It's a perfectly serviceable set of covers, all faithfully done without causing too much offence (for me, at least).  I was expecting at least one of them to been a heinous crime, but it never happened - I even quite liked their version of "Keeping The Customer Satisfied".  But it's still a complete mystery to me why people bought it by the bucketload (maybe Wikipedia will explain matters later).  But neither of us ever did - 0/2.

We're at #2 in the charts this week on their sixth week of an 18 week run - having spent the first two weeks at #1.  They were kept of the top by the mighty Spices, which is a phrase I'll be using for a bit, it appears and there were no new entries in the entire chart, with the top seven all being exactly the same as the previous week.

Wikipedia has an entry for the album but absolutely nothing on interest on it, so I checked out their entry to find out exactly why they were so popular.  And it reminded me it all came out of a random Soldier, Soldier episode where they sang "Unchained Melody" and loads of people got in touch with ITV to see if they could buy it.  Which leads to the following sentence "Simon Cowell was alerted to the interest shown by the public, and pursued the two reluctant actors (and later Robson's mother) for the next four months to record the song, to the extent that Robson Green threatened legal action to stop Cowell harassing them".  So, fair play to the lads, they did resist the call of fame - but once they gave in, it sold 1.87 million copies.  Lordy.  There were also some rumours (and some payoffs) that they didn't sing all the stuff on "their" records - I'm sure it happened, but let's give them the credit of doubt and say they weren't aware, shall we?

"Customers also listened to" - a load of people I have no intention of listening to.  But, surprisingly, I didn't hate this - I didn't need it in my life at all, but it's all perfectly listenable.  But unbelievably, mystifyingly popular back in the strange time that was 1996.

15/12/96 - This one goes out to Alison
29/12/96 - Girl power!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves