Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey!

Continuing my trip down The Guardian's Top 50 TV Shows of 2021.  

#19 : Line Of Duty

Now overshadowed by its finale, dismissed as anticlimactic by viewers and aggressively defended at length by Jed Mercurio, Line of Duty’s sixth series was just as tight and knotty as ever. And it absolutely pummelled everything else on television to pieces. Sixteen million people watched its final episode in May. In 2021, that’s incredible.


This is the third one I've seen on the list and I'm not entirely sure what I can say about it - it was pretty much your standard twisty Line Of Duty fare and you're either going to be a fan or not (I like it).  All the usual players played their usual parts with Kelly Macdonald being a welcome addition to the cast who slotted in nicely and Anna Maxwell Martin making a particularly nasty return.  I'd also completely forgotten about the very bizarre role that James Nesbitt plays in this season until I saw it mentioned on Wikipedia.

Yes, there was a bit of a fuss about the finale but to be honest I was happier with it being the way it was rather than some kind of (SPOILER ALERT) "it was Ted all along!" nonsense which I think would have resulted in much more of an uproar.  I also liked the very end of the finale which was an "everything continues to be shit" coda which feels very appropriate for the country at this particular point in time.

If you haven't seen Line Of Duty, then it's well worth a watch but don't start here - it's definitely a series that merits starting at the beginning and working your way through it (and don't worry when they call back to characters you don't remember, because no-one else did either).  To my shame, I still have to watch season 2 which I still plan to do despite knowing pretty much what happens in it from later seasons.  The other thing I'd say is don't get too attached to characters - Line Of Duty has a great line in killing people off quickly, particularly in the first episode of a season.  I wouldn't say this was the best season, but it was still very watchable - and lots of people did.  Including you, probably.

#18 - Enjoyably odd
#20 - TLDR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves