And the enemy's the remedy

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

11/12/20 : Weird! - YUNGBLUD



I'm vaguely aware of YUNGBLUD (don't ask me why he's all upper case, he just is) and seem to recall he's exactly the sort of show-off I'd usually hate, but actually I don't mind his stuff and find it quite interesting.  But I could be totally wrong about all of this...

...but no, it is quite an interesting album.  Some of it does it get a bit attitudinal (that's a word, right?) but he just about manages to keep it under control.  It also feels like an album that would benefit from multiple relistens - I suspect I missed quite a lot of stuff that was going on.  I was reminded of Arctic Monkeys in more than a few places - clever lyrics and nice tunes.

Normality is restored because we're back at #1 with a new entry - he managed eight weeks before disappearing from view.  Other new entries in the top ten are Arctic Monkeys (#3) and Kelly Jones (#8) - but I'm going to have to stop writing about this now because I've just seen who I'm going to have to listen to next, so I need a bit of a lie-down.

Back to YUNGBLUD, Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot to say about the album other than that he said he was going to release it and then he did.  It also tells me the album cover is based around the film poster for This Is England - and they're not wrong.  The album did better than I was expecting globally - #75 in the US seems like a reasonable result for the lad.

"Customers also listened to" Machine Gun Kelly and a load of other people I've never heard of - I find this kinda stuff ("indie rock" or "pop punk" according to Wikipedia) interesting because I really like some of it and I really hate other bits and I can't really say what distinguishes the two.  I like this though and will be making an effort to revisit it - quite possibly after what's coming up next because my eardrums will need cleansing.

04/11/20 - Not good.  But it could have been much worse.
18/12/20 - Unforgivable!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves