Got mums in my ear like a drill sergeant

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

19/02/21 : TYRON - Slowthai


A couple of years back, everyone went mad for Slowthai.  Everyone except for me, that is, because I was somewhat baffled by his popularity - I found it all just a bit of a shouty sonic mess.  So imagine my joy at finding this next in line - I was so happy that I chose to listen to Marillion first instead.  However, there's no avoiding my duty, so here we go...

Yeah - my opinion has not changed.  I just don't understand the appeal, I'm afraid - whereas Ghetts seems to have something to say and thinks about how he wants to say it, Slowthai just sounds like he's doing some shouting about nothing over some random noises.  Some of the noises are slightly interesting, but as a total package it's just not for me.  No sir-ree!  I do like the album cover though.

Straight in at #1, he managed four weeks on the chart before disappearing.  Other new entries in the top 10 are Pale Waves (#3 - never heard of 'em!) and Pretty Reckless (#6 - I liked them a lot more than I was expecting when I met them previously).  One other point of interest in the top ten this week is that Dua Lipa was back - she'd hardly been suffering previously since she was in her 47th consecutive week on the charts, but from this point on she spent the next 24 weeks in the top ten (and she's still in the top 30 now on a run of 103 weeks).  And if you've not heard it, it's a very fine album indeed.

Wikipedia has more on the album than I was expecting, but most of it is just listing all the guest artists.  The critics liked it though and the public liked it both up here (#1 in UK, #2 in Ireland) and down there (#11 in Australia, #13 in NZ).  "Customers also listened to" Skepta, Octavia and Ocean Wisdom - not my area of expertise, surprisingly.  And I'm fine with that being the case - if you like this, then I'm happy for you but I struggle to imagine this album will convert too many to the cause.

12/02/21 - Is it all highlights though?
26/02/21 - Much more enjoyable than expected


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves