Can you see the good things in your life?

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

21/05/21 : Fat Pop (Volume 1) - Paul Weller


Well, I wasn't expecting Paul to be the first artist I'd be writing about twice on the run across the album charts - let's hope this is better than my previous experience was.  I can't say my expectations were ski-high though.

And well, the good news is that it's definitely better!  There are some decent enough songs on here with some obviously skilful musicians involved - I particularly liked "Cobweb/Connections" and "In Better Times".  I'd struggle to say it hangs together as an album though - it's all a bit kitchen-sinky in places.  It reminded me of Damon Albarn/Gorillaz both in terms of annoying vocal delivery and random musical influences (but not quite as bad as Damon, obviously!)  The good bits are pretty good though - if you like a bit of Paul then check it out (definitely in preference to the previous experience).  I'm not convinced by the album cover though.

We're at the top of the charts this week with Paul's sixth #1 album - and he managed six weeks on the chart with this one before disappearing.  Other new entries are J Cole (#2), St Vincent (#4), Black Keys (#5) and Jorja Smith (#9 - and I quite liked this when I listened to it). 

Wikipedia has pretty much nothing on the album other than noting that the critics liked it, although no specific examples of this are given.  The only thing I can find of note is that Wikipedia adds the "(Volume 1)" bit that no-one else bothers with.

"Customers also listened to" Stone Foundation, The Style Council and The Jam - all of whom have close links to one Mr P. Weller Esq.  He's certainly produced some fine music in his time and, whilst I wasn't expecting too much from this, I thought it wasn't bad at all in places.  It won't divert me from Stanley Road or Snap! as my go-to destinations of choice, but it was far preferable to a lot of his other more recent stuff that I've had the misfortune to experience.

14/05/21 - A bit of a let-down, unfortunately
28/05/21 - An unexpectedly pleasant surprise

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves