Can I control this empty delusion?

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.10.06 : The Metallica Blacklist - Metallica & Friends (2021)

Mmmm - six hours of Metallica covers!  What's not to love about that?!?  After I had a minor strop, the nominator recommended a cut-down list which I felt brave enough to try (particularly since he'd provided an excellent nomination speech harking back to the Freddie Mercury tribute concert).  And generally, they were all pretty good - much preferable to the originals for me.  And it really brings out how good a song "Nothing Else Matters" is.

The channel gave it three thumbs up, one mic-drop-boom and a lot of positive comments.  I was somewhat surprised to see that Wikipedia does have an entry for this - I'd assumed it was just a playlist, but it's an actual album released as part of the 30th anniversary celebration of, now what album could it possibly be?  Ah yes, it's that one.  And apparently, it's only four hours long - what was I complaining about?!?  And apparently Metal Hammer (not a publication I'm particularly familiar with) ranked all the tracks and decided the Miley Cyrus one was the best - which wasn't necessarily the result I was expecting.

"Customers also listened to" The White Stripes, The Foo Fighters, The Cranberries, Led Zeppelin and Radiohead - a somewhat eclectic mix, I'd suggest.  I'd have to say I enjoyed the edited highlights of this a lot more than I was expecting - and I'd even be tempted to listen to the rest of it .

21.10.07 : Things To Make And Do - Moloko (2000)

I think Moloko and (particularly) Róisin Murphy are very underrated and have made some fine bleepy noises over the year.  I hadn't listened to this in years and so was very pleased to be reminded of it.

I like this a lot.  Hard to believe it's 21 years ago now though - I'd completely forgotten how well it did at the time (#3 in the UK).

The channel gave it three hearts, one thumbs up and one complaint that "The Time Is Now" has been ruined by over-exposure.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album other saying it was well regarded by critics and public alike.

"Customers also listened to" Groove Armada, Tori Amos and Phats and Small - another slightly odd mix.  And Moloko are up there with the best of them - this is a fine album indeed. 

21.10.08 : Never Were The Way She Was - Colin Stetson, Sarah Neufeld (2015)


I'd totally forgotten about this until I saw my channel comment

It's not something I'd seek out, but there are some impressive sounds on it - particularly since you tell me a saxophone is involved somewhere.

and that brought back memories of the impressive sounds and the link that was posted in the channel showing Colin making some even more impressive noises.  Colin's such a rock and roll name, isn't it? - the internet suggests the most famous musical Colins are Cozy Powell, Black or Colin Hay, two of whom have changed their names to hide their Colin-ness and who knows who the other one is (the lead singer of Men At Work, obviously).  The channel gave it three eyes and some generally positive noises.  Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot to say about the album other than that it was recorded live, which makes the noises even more impressive.

"Customers also listened to" a selection of people I've never heard of but if their music is as weird as their album covers, then there are going to be some odd sounds coming out of them indeed.  This isn't my sort of thing at all, but it's certainly interesting.

So, two albums I liked a lot more than I expected but they still finish behind Moloko for me - go Róisin and the other one (sorry, Mark!)

21.10.01 - We're back on the testosterone, aren't we?
21.10.11 - An easy win for the lady

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves