Something inside, that was always denied, for so many years

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

20.10.28 : Between The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea - Black Stone Cherry (2011)

I think I'd heard some Black Stone Cherry and dismissed it as generic US "rawk" which is fine if you're in the mood for such a thing, but I never am.  And yeah, I guess it's fun in a "look at me, I'm a dinosaur" way but it's not my kinda thang I'm afraid.
The channel had five thumbs up but no comments.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to say on the album but includes a weird detail for no obvious reason - "Between the Devil & The Deep Blue Sea is the third studio album by Black Stone Cherry. Produced by Howard Benson, it was released on May 27, 2011. The song "Stay" was later covered by Florida Georgia Line, who released it as the fourth single from their debut album Here's to the Good Times.".  It did well enough commercially though - #29 in the US and #13 in the UK, which seems surprisingly high to me.
"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of, but I suspect I won't like.  It's just not really for me - sorry.
20.10.29 : Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles (1967)

An album I didn't actively avoid for a large portion of my life but I just never listened to it - until the 50th anniversary came around when I thought I should make the effort, but was somewhat underwhelmed.  However, as part of the Rolling Stone exercise, I got to relisten to ir along with load of other Beatles albums and it underwent a bit of critical re-evaluation for me - possibly because I was on a second listen and possibly because I'd listened to a load of "classic" albums that were utter dogshit.  Either way, I had more than a few words to say on the matter.
The channel gave this four thumbs up, one heart and one guitar - but surprisingly few comments.  The size of the Wikipedia entry is unsurprisingly measured at exactly 1 Pepper - there may be a bigger entry out for an album out there but I doubt it because I suspect the Rolling Stone exercise would have turned it up.  It also overtakes Bowie as the oldest album on the list so far.
20.10.30 : Turn On The Bright Lights - Interpol (2001)

I loved Antics (their second album) back in the day and listened to it a lot - right up until I saw them at Glastonbury a couple of years later and they put on one of the most boring sets I've ever seen, which meant I went right off them.  I bet I'd still love Antics though and I must revisit it some time - but not before listening to this, their debut album which I have so far never managed to catch up with.  But now I have - and it didn't strike me as immediate as I remember Antics being but it's still pretty much in the same vein, if a bit more downbeat.  No one track in particular jumped out at me, but I was happy enough to be taken back to the early 00s and reminded of a time when I listened to a lot of music.
The channel was pleased to see this - something nicely bleak for a Friday!  Four thumbs up and one beautiful skeleton emoji - obviously.  There was also some love for Antics as well in there.  Wikipeida tells us that the album was well received critically and its reputation has only grown since - but the commercial reception has never quite matched the critical.
"Customers also listened to" Bloc Party, Silversun Pickups and Yeah Yeahs Yeahs - all names that take me back to that time with a smile.  But this album didn't quite hit the heights of other albums from that period for me - I'll be sticking with Antics (assuming I can remember to relisten to it).
Not giving this round to Sgt Pepper would seem a little contrary (even for me) so well done to them Beatles chappies - I suspect they might go far!
20.10.23 - A selection of artists with long names
20.11.02 - An eclectic mix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves