When it comes to girls, I'm mostly hypothetical - if I list their names, it's purely alphabetical

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

20.09.16 : Our Earthly Pleasures - Maximo Park (2007)

I liked this album back in the day, but hadn't listened to it in ages so was pleased to be reminded of it.  And yeah, I still like it - "A Fortnight's Time" is my fave track, but they all barrel along nicely and are well played and sung.  I never checked anything of theirs out after this album - I really should!  I also like the album cover - you want to know what's going on. 
The channel gave this 6 thumbs up and a few positive comments.  Wikipedia has a few random sentences on the album but notes that it was well received both critically and commercially, reaching #2 in the UK - kept off the top by Kings Of Leon's Because Of The Times (which I remember being pretty popular, but I was amazed to see it spent 2 years in the charts!).  I was also pleased to see they're still hanging in there and they released an album earlier this year (which also peaked at #2 in the charts, kept off the top by Architects latest offering)
"Customers also listened to" Bloc Party, Jack Penate and Kaiser Chiefs - there's some good tracks scattered across those albums with a similar level of energy.  And yeah, I'm glad I was reminded of this album and might have to revisit A Certain Trigger and then try out some of their later stuff.
20.09.17 : New Energy - Four Tet (2017)

I thiink Four Tet are very Bonobo like, aren't they?  That was my going in expectation - and thank god it wasn't some hateful hip-hop, or I'd have been very disappointed!  It's a bit more minimalist than Bonobo and in a similar vein, I'd say it struggles to hold my attention but bleeps along nicely in the background.  I like the album cover as well - whatever it is (although I'm slightly concerned if I knew what it was, I wouldn't like it)
The channel gave this 7 thumbs up, 2 fires (I've no idea what that means!), some positive comments and it enticed someone to join for the first time in ages.  Wikipeda tells me this is more "listener-friendly" than his previous albums (is that the same as "better"?) and then goes on to list all the critics that loved it and put it on their "best of 2017" lists - but it's fair to say it didn't set the charts on fire.
"Customers also listened to" Bonobo and a load of other people I've never heard of (which somewhat surprised me because I thought I had at least heard of most of these guys).  Overall, I'd say this fills a need but struggles to distinguish itself from the pack.
20.09.18 : Six - Mansun (1998)

I like Attack Of The Grey Lantern and listen to it considerably more often than a lot of better known albums from that period and I know various people who like all of their work, but I've never checked anything else out.  So here we go...
...and well, it's not a million miles away but at first listen it just sounds a bit of a mess.  It's certainly not as immediate as AOTGL, but I can believe that with careful study on repeat listens it could be a grower.  And is this going to happen?  No, it isn't.
The channel was more muted on this one with a couple of thumbs up and one passive-aggressive "I really like AOTGL" comment.  Wikipedia tells me the album was influenced by The Prisoner TV series (hence the title) and maybe that explains why it's just a mess - it's all intentional.  A lot of the entry suggests that the band may well have been, shall we say, "up themselves" at the time of recording eg describing their songs as "wordy and complex tableaux".  I was, however, extremely pleased to see the album reached #6 in the charts - you can't ask for anything more than that!
"Customers also listened to" a load of 90s indie bands, most of whom I'd be more likely to listen to than this album but less likely to listen to than AOTGL - and I'm sure Mansun will hate me for describing their "wordy and complex tableaux" as "a bit of a mess", but I guess we'll all just have to live with that.
If I ever need something to bleep along nicely in the background, then Four Tet will be my go to option here - but for every other occasion, Maximo Park would be my selection, so they get the round.
20.09.11 - Three somewhat different albums from the usual fare
20.09.21 - An odd mix and no mistake

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves