Hold this MAC-10 that's all covered in jewels

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

20.09.08 : DDMN - Saint PHNX (2020)

10 songs?  32 minutes?  I like this already!  No idea of anything else about it though - and I couldn't even decide on what I was expecting from their name either.  And having listened to it, I'm not entirely sure how I'd describe it.  It's a combination of rock, hip-hop and R&B, but quite singalong at the same time - I didn't mind it at all and imagine it sounds particularly fine live.
The channel limited itself to one positive comment balanced by one "not for me, thanks".  Wikipedia has nothing on the band or the album - all I can tell you is they're brothers from Wishaw.  
"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of, but I liked this more than I expected to (even if I can't describe it!).  And I don't really feel this "write-up" has told you anything about it at all!
20.09.09 : Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor - Lupe Fiasco (2006)

I was aware of Lupe Fiasco but only in a "yeah, he's one of them hippy-hoppy types" kinda way - without ever having intentionally listened to him, I'd suspected he fell into the Frank/Kendrick/Childish bracket where I appreciate the overall sound, but don't actually understand what aspect of it I'm supposed to like.  But I ploughed bravely onwards anyway...
And, it turns out I was wrong.  Yes, note the date, people.  He's firmly in the Kanye bracket, where I don't always appreciate the sound but when I do, I totally get what he's trying to do and even enjoy it - it's a good sound and there are some fine lyrics here.  I liked all of this except for the exceptionally smug and pointless "Outro" - yes, you've got lots of friends, we get it, but we don't need you go on about them for 11 minutes.
The channel had one thumbs up and one positive comment.  Wikipedia has more than you might expect on the album (150 milliPeppers) but not a great deal of content.  A lot of it just lists the famous people involved in the album to some degree - The Neptunes, Jay Z, Kanye, Jill Scott and a load of people I've never heard of, but they have their own Wikipedia pages, so they're probably more famous than me.  The critics loved this and it did well commercially - #8 in the US, but only #31 in the UK where I would have expected it to have gone down better.
"Customers also listened to" Kanye, Common and Nas - no massive surprises there.  Overall, I like this and would be tempted to check out some of his other stuff.
20.09.08 : Migration - Bonobo (2017)

I don't mind a spot of Bonobo, but can't say I've ever attempted a full album before - I was expecting it to be fine, but to struggle to hold my interest for the full 61 minutes.  And yeah, there are some lovely bleeps, tweets and warbles on there but I'd struggle to say I was fully engrossed by it all the way through - however, sometimes that's just what you need, so I'd say it would hit the spot if that's what you were looking for.  Having said that "No Reason" did stand out for me - I really liked that track (even though it was 7:29 long).
The channel had eight thumbs up, three raised hands and a few positive comments - but that was always going to be the case because this is right up its street.  It's apparently also very good for getting small kids off to sleep.  Wikipedia has a bit on the album - telling me he's British, which I never realised.  The critics mostly liked it, although there was some criticism that it was too similar to his previous album.  It did well enough commercially though - #5 in the UK charts.
"Customers also listened to" Kid Loco, Tycho and Thievery Corporation - all of whom I think I've bumped into on chill-out compendiums along with Bonobo.  And whilst I don't go for this sort of thing all the time, there are times it just hits the spot.
I'd say that all of these are fine if that's what you're in the mood for - Bonobo is the thing I'm personally most likely to be in the mood for, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Lupe Fiasco is, by some indefinable criteria, the "better" album.  Tricky one after only one listen for each of them - let's go for a tie and give the lyrics to Lupe because he has slightly more to say for himself!
20.09.03 - Two fine ladies
20.09.11 - Three somewhat different albums from the usual fare

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves