I'm so embarrassed. I'm not a real person yet.

Continuing my trip down Empire’s top 100 films of the century so far…

  • #81 - District 9
    This came out of nowhere and is really good, intelligent sci-fi combined with social commentary
  • #82 - Skyfall
    My favourite of the Daniel Craig outings although I'd have to say the trailers for No Time To Die look pretty good - if there are any cinemas left for it to ever open in 😢

Which brings me on to Frances Ha, which having watched Ladybird, I had high hopes for.  And, well, I'm not sure what I think.  It's less a film as such - more like a collection of arty cut scenes (in black and white, naturally!) of varying lengths, which sometimes contribute to the "plot" and sometimes don't.


It's beautifully shot (although I wasn't entirely convinced about the black and white) and the performances are generally good and feel quite natural - although the characters don't actually feel like anyone I've ever met, but maybe I just don't move in those social circles (to avoid any doubt, I definitely don't move in those social circles).  Greta Gerwig in particular deserves plaudits for the times she appears a bit lost, often with just a look - growing up can be hard at any age and I think she carries that across well.  I didn't like her character's overly deliberate awkwardness, but some of the dialogue was very well written 


I think I'll probably read Proust - because sometimes it's good to do what you're supposed to when you're supposed to

Proust is pretty heavy.

It's worth it, I hear.

I meant the book - carrying it on the plane.


It's well worth checking out some further charming quotes here - or just watch the film!


So, did I like it?  For large portions of it, I didn't - I really wanted to, but somehow it just wasn't getting there for me.  And then, all of a sudden, over the dance performance, it all came together and suddenly I cared about Greta and all the other characters - it was as though the sun came out on a rainy day.  Life isn't perfect, but most of us are just working our way through it the best we can - including all these people on their respective paths.  And then the ending is pretty much perfect, telling you so much without telling you anything, so I'm going to be in a good mood for the rest of the day - thank you Frances Ha!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And all at once I owned the earth and sky

I wanna keep the door from closing, yeah

In your grace, I looked for some meaning - but I found none