At least a snitch is human

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's Best Albums of 2020 list...

#38 : I Think I'm Good - Kassa Overall



This is a blessedly uncategorisable record by the New York drummer and hyphenate talent, spanning Frank Ocean-ic romantic R&B lamentations, autobiographical improv, bumping neo-soul, flute fantasies, trip-hop and more, with guest stars ranging from Vijay Iyer to Angela Davis. The effect is like clambering inside a single particular mind, one that is – as the brilliantly unreadable title suggests – jangled by anxiety but also fumbling towards happiness.


Blessedly uncategorisable, you say?  Well that certainly helps set my expectations, so thanks very much...


And all I can say is, who would have thought that Mrs Overall's lad would have grown up to produce this?  Whatever it is that this is.  It's certainly not easy to describe - DJ Shadow is probably the closest frame of reference I have, but it's even more jumbled up than that.  I really liked some bits of it but part of the problem is that as soon as you start to enjoy it, it massively changes and leaves you scratching your head. "Show Me A Prison" and "Halfway House" are probably the closest you get to actual "songs" and I quite liked them but some of the other tracks are a bit too challenging for me, I'm afraid.


"Customers also listened to" Asher Gamedze and Asher Bat Dawid.  You know - them!  With their music and stuff.  Probably.  Having said I was surprised by the last album not having a Wikipedia page, then it was obvious that this was going to happen again immediately - and Kassa goes one better by not having a Wikipedia page for himself either!  Overall an intriguing listen featuring some nice noises in places, but it's not really for me.


#37 : Savage Mode II - 21 Savage And Metro Boomin



The Atlanta rapper-producer power duo follow their hit 2016 tape with another trap masterclass. Metro’s usual atmospheric snares, chords and nighthawk mood are offset with some gloriously cute flourishes, such as the dreamy backwards tones of Mr Right Now or the classic electro of Steppin’ on Niggas. Savage’s voice is still one of the best in contemporary rap: withering, jaded, but slicked with dark humour. It’s all tied together with oracular pronouncements from Morgan Freeman, who muses on the nature of snitches with a twinkling gimlet eye.


Hmm - this didn't sound like my sort of thing at all.  And guess what?  It really isn't my sort of thing at all.  I'm sure it's all very well done, but when I listen to Mr Right Now, I don't hear "dreamy backwards tones" I'm afraid.  I mean, I did chuckle at the following rhyming couplet but I'm not sure it quite qualifies as Wordsworth.


She want me to fuck her to Beyoncé
But I don't treat her like she my fiancé


The album was well received both critically and commercially, so I guess it's a case of "what do I know?" but I know what I like, and this is not it.  It is, of course, improved by the addition of Morgan Freeman, but that's because everything can be improved by the addition of Morgan Freeman.


#40/39 - Ariana and someone else...
#36/35 - Two albums not as good as they think they are



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves