Local boy, George Mills, just 17, hero at Dunkirk

Continuing my trip down Empire’s top 100 films of the century so far…

  • #74 Oldboy
    Probably not the most watched film on the list but well worth checking out - overall it's intriguing/batshit crazy (depending upon your viewpoint) but has some absolutely stunning set pieces.
  • #75 Training Day
    Surprisingly low on the list imho, this is a great film with a terrific central performance.
  • #76 Logan
    Not what you'd expect from a superhero film but very enjoyable with some great performances from some actors really enjoying themselves.
Which brings us on to Dunkirk - a film I'd always meant to watch but never quite got around to.  I generally like Christopher Nolan films (although I gather Tenet may prove to be a challenge!) and I'd have to say this one didn't disappoint.

Having said that, I don't think I actually have an awful lot to say about it.  It's beautifully filmed and well acted by an impressive cast  (I'm sure that news isn't going to surprise anyone) although the ensemble nature of the cast and story means that no-one really gets to stand out, yet equally no-one stands out as being worse than the others.  I thought the film felt realistic, but I've obviously got no idea whether that's actually the case - in particular the lack of dialogue at times felt brave but realistic since I can quite imagine it wasn't the chattiest of times.  I also think the film managed to convey contrasting viewpoints well - at times it manages to be expansive and claustrophic, presenting both hope and helplessness and also camaradie and exclusion to good effect.

The time nonsense (every Christopher Nolan film is legally obliged to have some time nonsense) with consecutive timelines running on different scales works surprisingly well (and was at least basically explained), but I did find time skipping backwards and forwards between scenes somewhat confusing at times (although I can see why they had to do it).  And again, I gather any time-based concerns around this film will pale into insignificance when I get to watch Tenet!

One thing that did jump out for me is that this is most definitely not a film to apply the Bechdel test to - I don't believe two woman appear on the screen at the same time, let alone actually manage to have a conversation.  And whilst I understand that's probably historically accurate, it seems a strange choice to make in these times.

OK, OK - having covered the minor points of the film, I'll move on and address the question that everyone obviously cares most about.  Is Harry Styles any good?  On such things, fortunes are won and lost - and I'm pleased to report that he does just fine.  It didn't feel like it was a particularly taxing role, but he was in great company and didn't disgrace himself.  However, I would say his hair was suspiciously stylish for a man who'd spent weeks running from the Germans without access to product...

One final comment - it had a weird final shot.  I couldn’t work it out...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And all at once I owned the earth and sky

I wanna keep the door from closing, yeah

In your grace, I looked for some meaning - but I found none