Let your head rest in my hand. I got you.

As something to do during lockdown, I've decided to work my way through Empire's "Top 100 Films of the Century So Far", watching those ones I haven't yet got round to seeing.  If I was doing it properly, I'd start at 100 and work my way up, but since I suspect I won't make it to the end, it seems sensible to start at the top!


So, starting with the ones I have seen..


#1 Mad Max : Fury Road

I guess it’s OK, but top of the pile?  Not for me, personally...

#2 LOTR : Fellowship Of The Ring

I enjoyed this at the time, be interesting to see how well it stands up 19 years (!) later.  Maybe I’ll need a rewatch list after I finish the unwatched list.

#3 The Dark Knight

Personally, I can’t fault this.  I suspect some people stayed away from a “Batman film”, but there's a bit more to it than that.

#4 Inception

Christopher Nolan’s doing OK so far, isn’t he?  I like this, although I can understand the criticism it tries a bit too hard at times.

Which brings us to the first unwatched film on the list at number 5 - Moonlight.  “Cinematic poetry” is how Empire attempts to describe it, and having now watched it, I can’t argue with that.  It’s basically a loosely connected set of scenes spanning several years, but they add up to so much more - infused with hope and hopelessness, confidence and doubt, you're left guessing where things are going.  


It’s beautifully shot and acted – no standout performances for me, but high class across the board.  All in all, a very impressive piece of work and it also looks effortless – it’s the first film on the list which doesn’t seem like it’s trying really hard to impress you.  As Empire says “Moonlight is bruised, remarkably tender, completely shattering without ever grandstanding – it's a miracle the Oscars rewarded it.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves