Just when you think it can't get any worse, you run out of cigarettes.

Continuing my trip down Empire’s top 100 films of the century so far…

#57 Drive

I really enjoyed this, although I'd struggle to tell you anything that happened in it.  And I've seen it twice.

#58 Wall-E

A film of two halves.  And I prefer the first half.

#59 Django Unchained

A film I remember having some very fine performances in it, but I can tell you little more about it


Which brings us to Carol.  YET ANOTHER film about a same-sex relationship - will no-one think of the poor men who just want to watch films about superheroes?!?


I'd heard good things about this film and was looking forward to it - and I'd have to say it didn't disappoint.  It has two terrific central performances - Cate Blanchett took most of the plaudits, but Rooney Mara is just as good in my opinion, with both of them fully engaging your emotions as you follow them on their respective journeys.


The film greatly benefits from more plot than I was expecting, but also does a great job of depicting the social climate of the times which drives a lot of the character behaviour, making it seem (to me at least) very believable.  The period details are also very impressive - many of the short scenes must have taken an incredible amount of preparation.  It also has a beautiful visual style - dreamlike in places but never excessively so.


And finally, it has exactly the kind of ending I love - uncertain but hopeful.  All in all, a thorough recommendation.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves